[syslinux] isohybrid and ISO images whose size is not a multiple of 2048 bytes vs. VirtualBox

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Thu May 7 09:27:42 PDT 2015

Hi,

[Sorry for the delay. I finally too time to read this lengthy thread,
and I'll now provide the little bit of input I can.]

Thomas Schmitt via Syslinux wrote (18 Feb 2015 19:22:40 GMT) :
> it would be interesting to know for what solution
> TAILS decides and whether any problems arise with it.

In February, we've postponed trying to fix this problem. And now,
we've seen it again... for our latest release candidate
(Tails 1.4~rc1). For the record, the (hybrid'ed) ISO image is
962357760 bytes big, which isn't a multiple of 2048 bytes.

We'll release Tails 1.4 in a few days, and it feels too late and too
risky to try different -h/-s settings or experimental patches against
isohybrid for this release. So, we'll quickly validate the
`truncate -s %2048' hack, and if we don't see regressions, then I'm
pretty sure that's what we will use for Tails 1.4 (which will modify
the ISO file only if it needs it, of course -- it may very well be
that we don't need this hack at all for Tails 1.4).

Of course, a solution integrated into isohybrid itself would be nicer,
so I'm now going to look into the proposed patch(es?) and see if I can
be of any help.

Thanks everyone for diving into this discussion!

Cheers,
--
intrigeri