[syslinux] git clone of syslinux with http - submodule issue

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 03:50:08 PST 2015

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 1:03 AM, Celelibi <celelibi at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> As of the moment I am writing this email, the current version of the
>>> page you are actually referring to:
>>>
>>>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Development&oldid=4419
>>>
>>> was last edited on 2015Oct25.

>>> As of the current version of the aforementioned wiki page, I would not
>>> had interpreted the text the same way you wrote it here.
>>>
>>> Anyway, have you actually tried the first suggested method to clone the
>>> repo:
>>>
>>>  git clone --recursive git://repo.or.cz/syslinux.git a-new-directory
>>>
>>> using git, not http? Is _that_ working correctly?
>>
>> Ady, no need.  Smells like he's behind a firewall that blocks tcp/9418
>> but allows tcp/80.
>>
>> Robert, I just updated the directions and it should help your issue.
>
> I think Robert knows how to circumvent the issue and was just trying to help.
>
> Your modification of the wiki will make it always show the submodule
> as modified and some git commands might reset it to its initial state.
> While the solution proposed by Robert (using the git config
> core.gitproxy) is much more reliable.
>
> IMO the only question is: should we point a link to the gist or copy
> the script to the wiki?

I don't think there's a question.  If Robert would allow it, the
script should be copied to the wiki.

This was the question I was trying to answer.

Yes, .gitmodules is tracked by the repository such that it will always
show up as modified.  Certain 'git reset' commands will revert this
change.

--
-Gene