[syslinux] Isohybrid wiki page and UEFI

Bruno Cornec Bruno.Cornec at hpe.com
Thu Oct 29 08:21:30 PDT 2015

Bruno Cornec via Syslinux said on Sun, Oct 25, 2015 at 12:39:53PM +0100:
>I'm indeed trying to have everything I need on the boot part of the
>ISO9660 image (kernel and an initrd which is normally built by
>MondoRescue which then mounts the ISO9660 FS to have access to
>additional content once booted). For now I do not seem to get to boot the
>kernel.
>
>My machines are HP BL 460 Gen9 servers with FW I36 07/21/2015, which is
>the latest one available, even if I could try to get a beta one if
>needed.

So as a summary of what I've tried up to now:

The ISO image I make with the script previously shown has now 4
different efi binaries to boot from in the same VFAT32 image embedded on
the ISO with either mksiofs (from RHEL7) or upstream xorriso.

With syslinux 6.03, syslinux from Gene git or syslinux with debug
symbols I get the red screens previously shared, and that I've seen
mentioned in some other messages here, even from people trying with PXE.

With grub.efi (0.99 version from RHEL6) I can have access to the grub
prompt.

All these are launched from the UEFI menu navigating to the virtual
media image (my built ISO) the efi binary in each case.

Knowing that again on the same system, launching syslinux.efi (classic
6.03) through PXE or from the local HDD *is* working.

So there is IMO a real issue from the bootable part of the iso only with
syslinux as grub loads. My problem is that trying to add debug msgs
doesn't seem to bring more info. I'll see whether configuring a virtual
serial port helps as a next step. Any other idea wrt debugging that is
again welcome.

Bruno.
--
Open Source Profession, Linux Community Lead WW  http://opensource.hp.com