[syslinux] Changes to get CD to boot on EFI System.

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 4 09:14:23 PDT 2016

> I'm not sure which is the intent of the El Torito spec and perhaps more
> importantly, what reality looks like, w.r.t. UEFI - whether it expects
> that the boot image is a partition or an EFI executable.

Neither. For booting optical media in UEFI mode (and, please let's
leave comments about isohybrid out at this point) you need a
partitionless (aka superfloppy) of less than 32MiB, with some
additional alignment.

I am purposely leaving out further / advanced possibilities. Let's not
be picky. I would suggest solving the basic case first, and we can
discuss further developments / options / alternatives later.

Peter, see the attachment in:

 http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2015-October/024526.html

for an example of what "should" eventually work in the future (when
syslinux.efi gets the relevant capabilities).

Regards,
Ady.