[syslinux] syslinux mkisofs hard-disk-boot isohybrid

Pascal patatetom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 21 10:20:06 PST 2016

hello every body,

I'm trying to build an isohybrid image based on syslinux able to boot on
bios and uefi with optical disk or usb key.

I've build a 16Mb hard disk image (core.img) with necessary parts for bios
(legacy bootable partition, protective mbr, gptmbr.bin & syslinux
installation) and for uefi (gpt, esp, /efi/boot/bootx64.efi & syslinux
files).

my hard disk image is ok - eg. bootable - with qemu on bios and uefi
(vmlinux & core.gz from tinylinux 7.2 are used).

I've generated an iso image with :

mkisofs -o core.iso -b boot/core.img -c boot/boot.cat -hard-disk-boot core/

my iso image is ok with qemu on bios and uefi, and with qemu as hard disk
on uefi but not on bios.

for the last case, I've use :

isohybrid core.iso

but I've this error :

isohybrid: core.iso: unexpected boot catalogue parameters

what's my problem :-)

regards.