[syslinux] syslinux mkisofs hard-disk-boot isohybrid

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 21 14:32:39 PST 2016

> hello every body,
>
> I'm trying to build an isohybrid image based on syslinux able to boot on
> bios and uefi with optical disk or usb key.
>
> I've build a 16Mb hard disk image (core.img) with necessary parts for bios
> (legacy bootable partition, protective mbr, gptmbr.bin & syslinux
> installation) and for uefi (gpt, esp, /efi/boot/bootx64.efi & syslinux
> files).
>
> my hard disk image is ok - eg. bootable - with qemu on bios and uefi
> (vmlinux & core.gz from tinylinux 7.2 are used).
>
> I've generated an iso image with :
>
> mkisofs -o core.iso -b boot/core.img -c boot/boot.cat -hard-disk-boot core/
>
> my iso image is ok with qemu on bios and uefi, and with qemu as hard disk
> on uefi but not on bios.
>
> for the last case, I've use :
>
> isohybrid core.iso
>
> but I've this error :
>
> isohybrid: core.iso: unexpected boot catalogue parameters
>
> what's my problem :-)
>
> regards.

isohybrid is for "El Torito no-emulation" boot images (such as those
using isolinux.bin) and you are using "El Torito hard disk emulation".

Unfortunately, syslinux.efi v.6.03 is not capable of booting optical
media in UEFI mode. Please read the wiki (and the "FAQ" link posted in
the isohybrid wiki page).

Regards,
Ady.