[syslinux] syslinux mkisofs hard-disk-boot isohybrid

Pascal patatetom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 00:47:51 PST 2016

> > Hi,
> >
> > Ady wrote:
> > > the UEFI specs do state that the ESP is supposed
> > > to be set/used as no-emulation mode
> > > the UEFI specs should tolerate / accept this situation, rather than
> > < restricting the ESP to no-emulation mode.
> >
> > My criticism towards this UEFI implementation is that it probably cannot
> > serve as realistic test bed for the first stage of UEFI booting. It seems
> > far too tolerant towards standards deviations.
>

> At this time I'd rather focus on syslinux.efi not being able to boot
> optical media in UEFI mode by means of the no-emulation method as
> described in the UEFI specs, instead of taking Pascal's case (and its
> resulting qemu's behavior) as base for testing other UEFI
> implementations.

as syslinux.efi can not give the hand to the kernel located outside the
image, I left this side to put everything in the image (vmlinux, initrd &
syslinux.efi), but it stuck on isohybrid at the bios level now...

> > in previous post, Ady wrote:
> > > Is there anyone that is willing to add more options and alternatives
> > > to isohybrid [...] ?
> >
> > That's not easy.
>
> There is no developer that has attempted to answer the question of
> booting optical media in UEFI mode using syslinux.efi, in spite of
> years of being asked in this Syslinux mailing list, again and again.

if everything is in the image, syslinux.efi can boot a linux kernel that
will do the rest... at my level, with hard disk emulation, the problem lies
in making the image iso bootable as a disk (eg. isohybrid).