[syslinux] Making a 6.04

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 13 19:35:13 PDT 2016

> How about the recently introduced weak issue?
> On May 31, 2016 6:31 PM, "H. Peter Anvin via Syslinux" <syslinux at zytor.com>
> wrote:
>
> > There seem to be a bunch of bug fixes in the 6.04 branch that people
> > really need.  Do we know of any current regressions?  Otherwise we
> > really ought to just push the button...
> >
> >         -hpa

How about the "HIDDEN" issue? How about updating and testing the
gnu-efi submodule? How about the "keeppxe" patch (perhaps solving a bug
that has been present since v.5+)? Or how about the feedback I wrote
when 6.04-pre1 was released? How about a "gptmbr.bin" that supports
XFS? How about the many regressions still present, for so many years?
And the pending patches?

[sarcasm mode on]
Let's have an automatic daily build! Moreover, let's have an automatic
daily release! One new official release version every single day. That
way, the so many many many users of Syslinux 6+ would get a newer
updated version, with a shiny new number, every single day! Yeah, I'm
sure that would solve all the problems.
[sarcasm mode off]

I seriously doubt that there are many people actually requesting for an
updated release, except maybe for super-lazy maintainers that don't
really care (and I am able to prove this with facts, but I won't waste
my own time with something that won't be even read).

I wish and hope for actual development. Shiny and, at this point,
completely useless numbers, won't change the facts.