[syslinux] Trying to build bootable iso but very confused by syslinux documentation

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 08:18:08 PDT 2016

> I tried to cross reference with the syslinux wik, for isolinux
> http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=ISOLINUX, but it was just
> as unclear. It was using mkisofs as well.
>
> There are two parts that are unclear. Where and what isolinux files to
> put on the directory tree I want to turn into a bootable iso and what
> command to run to convert the directory tree into a bootable iso image.

Once again "we" have some "genisoimage" command and documentation being
not-clear-enough for users.

I'll try to clarify. Regarding the specific items you are mentioning,
the Syslinux wiki is not generating any confusion. The ISOLINUX wiki
says (at the time I am writing this email):

_ Copy "[bios/]core/isolinux.bin" from the Syslinux archive;
_ For version 5.00 or newer, also copy
"[bios/]com32/elflink/ldlinux/ldlinux.c32" from the Syslinux archive.

At this time, I am not getting into the _where_ to copy to and
additional details; users can see those details in the respective
instructions in each of their distros' documentation.

As for the rest (genisoimage, xorriso, mkisofs and respective
commands), the mess starts by Debian, with its unmaintained genisoimage
/ cdrkit and alike, and then it is followed by oudated documentation,
inclusing the Ubuntu wiki page you initially linked to.

I am not at all surprised that the documentation in Ubuntu's wiki is
outdated or confusing regarding Syslinux-related matters.

As to the specific command for genisoimage / mkisofs / xorriso, each of
them has manual pages. Considering the big amount of options, I would
guess that asking for help in Ubuntu forums and alike could be more
effective than reading each man page.

Having said that, Thomas is responsible for xorriso, and many distros
have replaced the unmaintained genisoimage with xorriso, so perhaps you
might be able to solve your doubts by answering (with specifics) his
questions.

Regards,
Ady.