[syslinux] Module Versioning

intrigeri intrigeri at boum.org
Wed Apr 12 00:29:40 PDT 2017

Hi,

[ouch, it take me a year… thank you all for this very interesting
thread that I'm going to finish reading now.]

Pete Batard via Syslinux:
> I'll skip the EFI part of tails (that uses grub/EFI) to talk only
> about the BIOS/Syslinux part.

JFTR Tails uses GRUB only for 32-bit UEFI. We use syslinux for BIOS
and 64-bit UEFI.

> So, one thing Rufus will need to do is find a "replacement" part, that serves the
> same purpose as 'isolinux.bin', but that is compatible with USB-HDD boot. And as far
> as I know, the only replacement we can use here is 'ldlinux.sys', which, since we
> cannot get it from the ISO, we have to get from somewhere else.

The Tails ISO includes utils/{linux/syslinux,win32/syslinux.exe}, that
can be used to install a ldlinux.sys that exactly matches the included
*.c32 modules. We use the former (utils/linux/syslinux) in Tails
Installer when it's run from Tails, and Universal USB Installer uses
the latter on Windows.

Cheers,
--
intrigeri