[syslinux] menu.c32 background problem

Barry Kauler bkauler at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 06:18:35 PDT 2017

On 8/4/17, Ady Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

>> Note, I am using syslinux from Ubuntu 16.04.2, presume that is 6.03.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Barry
>
> Before investing time in replying to each different (unexpected)
> behavior, I would suggest testing with *pre-built* binaries from
> 6.04-pre1 downloaded from kernel.org (considering the lack of package
> maintenance).
>
> Reminder: *all* (used) syslinux-related binaries pertaining to the
> relevant platform (e.g. BIOS) shall match the same version and build
> (and platform). For instance, if you want to test 6.04-pre1 pre-built
> binaries, you need to use matching lib*.c32 library module files,
> ldlinux.*, menu.c32 (among other used c32 modules), executing the
> matching installer executable, etc, (all originated from the same
> ".bios/*" directory tree of the official distribution archives).
>
> After reporting back the resulting behavior with the pre-built
> binaries, we'll see which issues actually remain relevant.
>
> @Barry, would you be able to perform such test?

Thanks for the response. Yep, done. I downloaded from kernel.org
6.04-pre1, and compiled it. I made certain only using those files.

With menu.c32, as per my example, reproducing here:

ui menu.c32

menu title Easy Boot Manager
default quirky
timeout 100

label quirky
menu label Easy 0.2.6
kernel vmlinuz
append root=/dev/sda3 rootwait rw

label Help
menu help help.msg

I still get the previous screen showing through on the background.
I have taken a couple of photos. The first is when I select the help,
and second when I hit Esc key and go back to the menu.

Note, this is booting on a 64-bit UEFI-firmware PC, in a esp fat32 partition.

Photos are here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/quirky6/project/temp/

Regards,
Barry