[syslinux] Verify contents before boot?

Shao Miller syslinux at sha0.net
Fri Aug 4 13:26:46 PDT 2017

On 8/4/2017 12:44, Bret Schuhmacher via Syslinux wrote:
> I see there's a memtest on the Linux discs I've created... would it be
> possible to put another program in place (a module, perhaps?) that can
> calculate a hash using a certain algorithm (i.e. SHA512 or similar) to
> validate and print out the hash of the boot ISO before booting it?  The
> integrity of the ISO is absolutely critical.

Do you mean that you'd type the expected hash in, during every boot?  I
ask because without typing it in manually, there's a chronological
challenge in which a hash of the whole disc must then be stored on that
same disc.  You don't know the hash until the disc is produced, but you
can't produce the [automated] disc without knowing the hash.

Shao Miller
Synthetel Corporation
W: https://www.synthetel.com