[syslinux] Dualhead issue

Ralf Mardorf silver.bullet at zoho.com
Wed Aug 16 21:57:25 PDT 2017

On Wed, 16 Aug 2017 17:34:45 -0400, Gene Cumm wrote:
>PROMPT 1
>TIMEOUT 600
>DEFAULT Pussytoes
>
>LABEL Pussytoes
>    MENU LABEL Arch Linux Rt ^Pussytoes
>    LINUX ../vmlinuz-linux-rt-pussytoes
>    APPEND root=LABEL=archlinux ro
>    INITRD ../initramfs-linux-rt-pussytoes.img
>
>Do you see anything with just this?

Hi,

I'll test it ASAP, but I doubt that this would make a difference.

>Did you try powering off the PC, unplug the VGA monitor, then boot?

Yes, if the VGA monitor is disconnected, the menu is shown on the HDMI
monitor, I don't need to power off the computer. However, only the
syslinux menu is affected, the BIOS is displayed on both monitors, the
HDMI monitor doesn't receive a signal, as soon as the syslinux menu
comes into play + the VGA monitor is connected with or without power on.

>It's a BIOS situation really.

But the BIOS is shown on both monitors at the same time.

>> FWIW xrandr shows HDMI1 and HDMI2, but there is only one HDMI output
>> assigned to HDMI2.
>
>Sometimes other outputs might be labeled strangely like a DVI as HDMI1.

The back panel of the mobo, a Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H (Intel CPU/GPU),
provides D-Sub, DVI-D and HDMI. The CRT monitor D-Sub only. The LCD
monitor in addition to HDMI, also Display Port, DVI-D und D-Sub.
Unfortunately I neither have a DVI-D to DVD-D, nor a DVI-D to HDMI
cable at hand.

Regards,
Ralf

PS: My mailman account's settings are set to avoid duplicated mails, so
if you send a reply to me, too, instead of sending it to the mailing
list only, I receive a mail without a mailing list header and the reply
to mailing list option of my MUA doesn't work.