[syslinux] syslinux/isolinux in other languages then english

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Feb 14 11:02:38 PST 2017

On 02/07/17 08:08, scootergrisen via Syslinux wrote:
> Hi i use Debian and i think that the first screen i see when trying the
> Debian ISO file is ISOLINUX.
>
> This first screen is only in english it seems.
>
> I would like this screen to be in other languages so i can switch to my
> language.
>
> Any there and way to translate it or are any work being done to make it
> translatable?
>
> I see a warning on http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Download
> about GFXBoot.
> I don't know if its GFXBoot that give Ubuntu the possibility to select
> language with F2 and keymap with F3 on the first screen but i would like
> something simalar, but instead of having to translate it Multiple places
> like for Ubuntu and SuSE and Mandriva it would be better to have the
> translation in syslinux/isolinux and then all the distrubutions could
> use that.
>
> As this is the first screen that the user and new users see when they
> try out a Linux distribution i would very much like to see it translated
> to my language so more people would have a better experience. Espicially
> if they dont understand english.

This isn't dependent on Syslinux per se; it is a matter of providing the
appropriate menus and the ability to choose the desired language.

Syslinux currently will not support scripts which need shaping,
right-to-left scripts, or multibyte scripts.  It *is* possible albeit
rather messy to support them by doing preprocessing of the menus and
font files.