[syslinux] Possible to persist data across reboots from Lua?

Ferenc Wágner wferi at niif.hu
Fri Jan 27 04:54:06 PST 2017

Frank Hunleth via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com> writes:

> I'd like to be able to save a boolean value across reboots. I believe
> that being able to store to the auxiliary data vector would satisfy
> this need, but I'm using syslinux and that doesn't seem to be
> implemented.

It's implemented in the Syslinux API, just not exported to Lua.

> While I'm currently using a Lua script, I'm not tied to it, so if
> there's a way to read and write any persistent filesystem or disk, I'd
> be happy to switch.

I think the best would be adding Lua bindings for syslinux_getadv(),
syslinux_setadv(), syslinux_adv_write(), syslinux_adv_size() and the
BOOTONCE and MENUSAVE tags.  And define some policy for allocating new
tags... which is the hard part.

> Reading through the source code, it seems like most filesystem
> operations are read-only

Yes, the filesystem drivers in Syslinux are read-only.
--
Feri