[syslinux] Where's the formal syntax?

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Jun 22 17:42:47 PDT 2017

On 06/22/17 14:52, eas lab via Syslinux wrote:
> I've been using linux:TC from a USBstik in order to not break the M$ capability,
> as previously always happened. Since TC runs in RAM, it has many extra
> problems; like reinstalling all the apps and your private settings at each boot.
> The sample isolinux.cfg which I've been emailed by the oficianado
> is very unfamiliar and worrying.    Where is the official syntax ?
> --
> Without knowing if/how the sample gets mangled in email, he sent:--
>    LABEL Corepure64
>    MENU LABEL Corepure64
>    TEXT HELP
>    Boot Corepure64
>    onbootpure64.lst
>    ENDTEXT
>    KERNEL /tce/boot/vmlinuz64
>    APPEND initrd=/boot/rootfs64.gz,/boot/modules64.gz loglevel=3 waitusb=5:LABEL
> ="USB16G" noswap
>    tce=LABEL="USB16G"/corepure64/tce opt=LABEL="USB16G" home=LABEL="USB16G"
> ---
>
> Are these parameters part of syslinux syntax, or just extras which
> are handled by <initrd> :
>   noswap, waitusb=5,
>   loglevel=3,
>   tce=LABEL="USB16G"/corepure64/tce
> ??

Some of those options are handled by the kernel, others by initramfs
(initrd).

The comma in the initrd= string means that multiple files are loaded by
the bootloader, and the concatenated into the initramfs by the kernel.
It is a very clean way to separate the user space components
(rootfs64.gz) from the kernel-specific module bundle (modules64.gz).