[syslinux] "isolinux.bin missing or corrupt" when booting USB flash drive in old PC

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Mon Mar 20 23:11:19 PDT 2017

On 03/19/2017 11:28 PM, David Christensen via Syslinux wrote:
> I will try to do an install later, and will report the result.

Booting the USB flash drive I prepared, the Debian installer runs:

Select a language		English

Select your location		United States

Configure the keyboard		American English

Detect and mount CD-ROM

Incorrect CD-ROM detected

The CD-ROM drive contains a CD which cannot be used for installation.

Please insert a suitable CD to continue with the installation.

I tried disconnecting the optical drive -- same result.

So, I guess the first part of the Debian installer is in the initrd.gz I
copied from 8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso to the root of the USB flash drive,
the rest is somewhere in debian-8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso, and I am
missing whatever tricks are required to invoke the remaining contents of
debian-8.7.1-i386-xfce-CD-1.iso (?).

Then again, putting an "isohybrid" image on a USB flash drive and trying
to patch it into working seems back-asswards; I should be building a
bootable Linux USB flash drive with the Debian installer on it.

Is there a WWW page/ article/ site, printed article/ book, or any other
document that explains, in technically complete and accurate detail, how
an i686-era (circa 2003) x86 personal computer boots from a USB device?
And, how to build a bootable Linux USB flash drive for such a machine?

Should I be asking on the debian-boot or debian-cd mailing lists?

David