[syslinux] Patches from Debian

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 22 16:18:06 PDT 2017

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've recently started working on the syslinux package on Debian.  I
> > noticed there are a few patches applied to the Debian version which
> > seem generally useful to me.  Please consider merging them:
> >
> > * 0001-digest-sha.patch: It appears that "Digest::SHA1" has been
> >   superseded by "Digest:SHA".
> > * 0003-extlinux-manpage.patch: Updates to the extlinux man page.
> > * 0009-reproducible-build.patch: More reproducible order (most of it
> >   was already solved in be645d7a9848847388a662f6c0f7571d52ed7a05).
> > * 0015-reproducible-timestamps.patch: use SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH
> >   environment variable [1], if available, to create reproducible mtimes
> >   in the files created by bin2c.pl.
> >
> > Note that the attached patches are not identical to the ones in
> > Debian's syslinux source package:  I've rebased them against current
> > syslinux git HEAD and dropped parts that have become unnecessary or
> > were already applied.  And I've just now updated the extlinux man page a
> > bit :) .
> >
> > Thank you
> > Lukas
> >
> > [1] https://reproducible-builds.org/specs/source-date-epoch/
> >

> Let's not forget that upstream Syslinux FTBFS when building with
> binutils 2.27+:
>
>  "ldlinux.elf: Not enough room for program headers"
>
> Workaround in Debian's package:
> _ Add --no-dynamic-linker to link lines
> _ 0014_fix_ftbfs_no_dynamic_linker.patch
>
> anonscm.debian.org/git/debian-cd/syslinux.git/tree/debian/patches/0014_f
> ix_ftbfs_no_dynamic_linker.patch
>
> The yet-to-be-answered question I posted here in the Syslinux Mailing
> List during 2017-Feb [2]:
>
> Is there a better solution?
>
> And, would any such patch affect negatively when building with older
> versions of binutils (e.g. other/older OS/environment)?
>
> Regards,
> Ady.
>
> [2] www.syslinux.org/archives/2017-February/025531.html

I forgot to mention that Fedora had to perform a special mass rebuild
[3] after updating to binutils 2.27, yet Fedora did not apply any
related patches to its Syslinux package. Whether Fedora's package needs
some related patch, or whether the rebuild
(unintentionally/unwillingly) solved any problems in its Syslinux
package (or whether its package actually works), or whether there is a
better solution, I do not know.

[3] fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_27_Binutils_Mass_Rebuild