[syslinux] efi config hang

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Wed Dec 12 16:28:16 PST 2018

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 4:33 PM Carl Karsten <carl at personnelware.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > is incorrect too.
> > >
> > > Depending on what exactly Debian actually want(ed) to achieve with this
> > > "exithelp.cfg" file, either:
> > >
> > > _ there is a need for some additional cfg file (and correct this one);
> > > or
> > >
> > > _ at least one of the directives is misused; or
> > >
> > > _ at least one of the directives should not be there.
> > >

> > > Whichever the change, it would need thorough testing of all cases /
> > > scenarios before the next freeze / release.
> >
> > the end of the help screens show:
> > "Press F2 through F10 for details, or ENTER to boot:"
> > it doesn't bother to say: "type menu to get back to the menu."  which
> > is what this seems to provide.
> >
> > I'd go with the simplest change, which I';m hoping is
> > > _ at least one of the directives is misused; or
> >
> > or, ss long as it isn't causing problems with efi, I'm happy to leave it alone.

> > > Well, we basically already tested this concept, with the 15 steps I
> > > posted (and that you followed) in a prior email, plus the later
> > > amendment in order to workaround a known bug in the PATH directive.
> >
> > moving the binaries into boot/syslinux
> > and changing the path in /syslinux.cfg
> >
> > path /boot/syslinux
> >
> > doesn't break anything...
> >
> > target/
> > ├── adgtk.cfg
> > ├── adspkgtk.cfg
> > ├── adtxt.cfg
> > ├── boot
> > │   └── syslinux
> > │       ├── libcom32.c32
> > │       ├── libutil.c32
> > │       └── vesamenu.c32
> > ├── disk.lbl
> > ├── exithelp.cfg
> > ├── f10.txt
> > ├── f1.txt
> > ├── f2.txt
> > ├── f3.txt
> > ├── f4.txt
> > ├── f5.txt
> > ├── f6.txt
> > ├── f7.txt
> > ├── f8.txt
> > ├── f9.txt
> > ├── g2ldr
> > ├── g2ldr.mbr
> > ├── gtk.cfg
> > ├── initrdg.gz
> > ├── initrd.gz
> > ├── ldlinux.c32
> > ├── ldlinux.sys
> > ├── linux
> > ├── menu.cfg
> > ├── NvVars
> > ├── prompt.cfg
> > ├── rqgtk.cfg
> > ├── rqspkgtk.cfg
> > ├── rqtxt.cfg
> > ├── setup.exe
> > ├── spkgtk.cfg
> > ├── splash.png
> > ├── stdmenu.cfg
> > ├── syslinux.cfg
> > ├── txt.cfg
> > └── win32-loader.ini
> >
> > except that PATH into the bios files is a problem for efi,
>
> or is it?
>
> I just realized maybe efi can avoid that file, and so path to bios

for bios:
# target/syslinux.cfg
path boot/syslinux
include menu.cfg
default vesamenu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 0

trying to make an equivalent efi boot:

# target/EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg
path /EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64
default menu.c32
CONFIG ../../menu.cfg ../../
prompt 0
timeout 0

result:

Initial menu has no LABEL entries!
boot:

(menu instead of vedamenu so that I can cut/paste text out of qemu
where I am testing.)

another idea:

# target/EFI/BOOT/syslinux.cfg
CONFIG ../../efi.cfg ../../
# CONFIG /efi.cfg / (same results)

# target/efi.cfg
# same as /syslinux.cfg except for path:
path /EFI/BOOT/SYSLINUX/EFI64
include menu.cfg
default menu.c32
prompt 0
timeout 0

No DEFAULT or UI configuration directive found!
boot:

I'm hoping I am on the right track but slipped up the syntax or something.

--
Carl K