[syslinux] Discard .note.gnu.property section to fix build failure (patch)

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 03:55:47 PST 2018

On Sat, Aug 18, 2018 at 11:35 AM Lukas Schwaighofer via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> currently syslinux fails to build from source in Debian as has been
> reported in https://bugs.debian.org/906414 . The reported error is:
>
>   mbr.bin: too big (452 > 440)
>

> I've realized that this is because since a recent version, the linker
> adds a new section (.note.gnu.property). Discarding this section fixes
> the problem. I've attached a patch, please consider merging it.

That explains a lot about why others have been seeing this issue.

Thanks.  Merged but not yet pushed.  There's 0 need to build MBRs for
EFI and I'm looking at why utils/ depends on mbr/ and planing to
eliminate a bunch of useless binaries (like how memdisk/ is only BIOS
for essentially the same reason; it just won't work for others).

--
-Gene