[syslinux] Question of syslinux chainloading

Lu Wei luweitest at gmail.com
Thu Apr 4 05:41:27 PDT 2019

Greetings,
I encounter a problem that should be basic, but I can't get a clue. I
have 8G USB disk formatted as FAT32. I run (syslinux -i -s -r -m H:)
to make it bootable, and write syslinux.cfg according to the
documents, but it will not boot some items.

Syslinux is 6.03, bios files used. The whole syslinux.cfg file:
path /syslinux
UI menu.c32
prompt 1
timeout 250

menu title Multi-purpose Boot Disk

#This item fails
label normal
menu default
menu label Boot from ^hard disk
com32 chain.c32 hd1

label loadhd
menu label Boot from local ^NTLDR
com32 chain.c32 ntldr=/ntldr

#This item fails
label dos
menu label MS-^DOS 7.1
com32 chain.c32 msdos7=io.sys

label dosimg
menu label MS-^DOS 7.1 super boot disk image
kernel memdisk
append initrd=/dos/MSDOS.IMG floppy

label hdt
menu label Hardware ^Info
com32 hdt.c32

label reboot
menu label Reboot
com32 reboot.c32

label poweroff
menu label Power off
com32 poweroff.c32
As I have commented, chainload hd1 and msdos7 do not succeed, while
other items are good. What could be the cause?

Lu Wei