[syslinux] chainloading via syslinux.efi

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 26 08:33:18 PDT 2019

> Now switching to syslinux.efi booting linux works fine, but I can no
> longer boot the Windows 10 installation installed on the first hard
> disk.
>
> Is this at all possible or do I need to reinstall Windows in BIOS mode?

The short answer:
 At the moment that's not possible.

Long answer:
 At the moment (and for some time/months by now), all relevant official
upstream git heads (branches) FTBFS for UEFI binaries. If at some point
someone manages to fix the current failures, then, perhaps someone
(else) might look at "elf.c" and related source files in order to
achieve loading other (U)EFI binaries. These source files might or
might not be enough for that goal. Until then (if it ever happens), the
current answer is that syslinux.efi (in either variant) cannot load
Windows in UEFI mode, not directly and not by some workaround. Or at
least nobody has ever made public such method / possibility.

There are other UEFI boot managers / loaders that are capable of such
task.

Regards,
Ady.