[syslinux] Getting classic BIOS and UEFI boot on the same disk?

Gregory Bartholomew gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com
Fri Aug 30 16:12:21 PDT 2019

On Fri, Aug 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM Erik Rull <erik.rull at rdsoftware.de> wrote:

> Hello Greg,
>
> thanks a lot - I will try out your script next week.
> I jut went through the script - there is a line containing:
> bls1 include
>
> I would carefully assume that this line is only valid when patching
> syslinux,
> correct? What will happen if this is read by a non-patched syslinux? Will
> it
> cause errors or will it simply be ignored?

That is correct. "bls1 include" would cause errors without the patch. The
main parts of the script that would be relevant to you would be the parts
that create the partition, set its type codes, write the first-stage boot
loader to the first 440 bytes of the disk, and lay out the file system
(e.g. it demonstrates that a single /syslinux.cfg file can be shared
between both the UEFI and BIOS binaries). Much of the rest of it would be
irrelevant for your case.