[syslinux] syslinux-6.04-pre2

Ady Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 12:31:22 PST 2019

> On 2/6/19 11:44 AM, Joakim Tjernlund wrote:
> > On Wed, 2019-02-06 at 11:34 -0800, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> >
> > Great, that tree now against a somewhat old gnu-efi though.
> >
> > To build against >= 3.0.8 I need to do:
> >         #gnu-efi >= 3.0.8 has memset/memcpy defined causing multiple syms errors
> > 	sed -i 's/LDFLAGS =/LDFLAGS = -z muldefs /' mk/efi.mk || die "sed muldefs failed"
> >

> Should be a trivial fix by simply omitting those from the
> syslinux-provided library functions on EFI.
>
> 	-hpa

All this has been already done in Debian Testing a couple of months ago
(at least). The next step for Debian in this regard should probably be
to test with gnu-efi 3.0.9 or newer, because the latter includes
relevant patches already.

More importantly, there are building problems in 6.04-pre2.

Part of them have been already reported in this Syslinux Mailing List
and in Debian's bug tracker too, with proposed patches.

Example:

 boot: hdt.c32
 Undef symbol FAIL: exp
 Failed to load libgpl.c32
 Failed to load COM32 file hdt.c32
 boot:

Problems: binutils 2.31+, gcc 8+

For hints, see patches already applied in Debian, and additional
proposed patches from "David Woodhouse" in the Syslinux Mailing List
archives for 2018Aug.

FWIW, Fedora 29 has not been able to include an updated package of
Syslinux; the build failed. In short, F29 distributes the Syslinux
package from F28.

Therefore, it should not be a surprise that the new 6.04-pre2 has some
(already-known) problems.

Regards,
Ady.