[syslinux] CTRL+X LSS16 Image embedded in "DISPLAY message" no longer works?

Gregory Lee Bartholomew gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com
Wed Nov 6 15:17:29 PST 2019

On Wed, 2019-11-06 at 22:13 +0000, Ady Ady via Syslinux wrote:

> Problems - to say the least - with LSS16 images have been reported
> several times since the release of version 5. Unfortunately, there has
> been no improvement in the code that would solve these. That's under
> BIOS.
>
> Under UEFI, not only that LSS16 images are not being displayed, but all
> sorts of inconsistencies regarding the boot screen(s) and the boot
> prompt have been reported too. Most of the rendering/displaying
> problems have not been resolved.
>
> At any rate, to anyone attempting to use/test Syslinux (in any of its
> variants) from version 6+, I would suggest at least version 6.04-pre1,
> or, even better, the current binary packages from Debian Testing, over
> the possibility of using/testing 6.03.

FWIW, I don't know if it is related to the problems that you mention, but I did
notice that the standard strncat function was a bit buggy when I was working on
a patch recently. According to the documentation, strncat is supposed to null-
terminate the destination. From the man page:

"... As with strcat(), the resulting string in dest is always null-terminated.
..."

The strncat function in Syslinux wasn't null-terminating the destination though.
I think I was developing against 6.04-pre2.

FYI.