[syslinux] extlinux - Failed to load ldlinux.c32

Pierre-Philipp Braun pbraun at nethence.com
Thu Jul 23 01:16:52 PDT 2020

> I have already suggested to Patrick that the syslinux package, currently at version 4.07,  be not upgraded.

Hello Didier, this is the topic exactly.  Why exactly did you recommend
him not to upgrade 4.07?  I myself sent him a message, attempting to
push for an upgrade!

> Version 6 brings support for EFI, but for that Slackware uses elilo and in my humble opinion it will be simpler for users to use grub 2.06 for EFI as well as legacy booting.

Yes GRUB2 is simpler but I would rather like SYSLINUX to become the new
bootloader.  Not just because the text vs menu flavors look as nice as
cute as the good old LILO, but because... we can.  We already switched
to PAM which to me, is unfortunate.  I am afraid that in the end,
Slackware will be just like like any other distro but its init and the
absence of package management.  I would be glad to discuss this more
privately.

Anyhow back to the topic, I managed to use EXTLINUX for loading XEN
MULTIBOOT before, but now that I try to set it up on another cluster, it
just fails.  For the record, I finally managed to build 6.04-pre1 on
Ubuntu 18 (apparently it used GCC 7) but same goes yet again.