[syslinux] Boot Loop in efi

Gregory Bartholomew gregory.lee.bartholomew at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 12:15:39 PDT 2020

On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 1:40 PM Erik Rull via Syslinux <
syslinux at syslinux.org> wrote:

> Thanks for the hints - I have NOT CONFIG_EFI enabled - do I need this
> actually?

I don't think it *should* be necessary, but it might be necessary due to
limitations or bugs in the firmware of the device you are trying to boot.

> My syslinux.cfg is pretty simple:
> DEFAULT linux
> LABEL linux
>   SAY Booting System...
>   KERNEL linux
>   APPEND initrd=iramfs.gz apic=debug lapic acpi=ht consoleblank=0 vga=1
> TIMEOUT 1
>
> I didn't find any documentation on the syslinux page for "linuxefi"
> command -
> where is this documented?

Sorry, I had confused syslinux with another bootloader. Syslinux only has
the "linux" or "kernel" commands. You might try "LINUX linux" in your
configuration instead of "KERNEL linux" though.

> Or is there a "default" syslinux.cfg for efi that I could use as a
> template?

What you have looks pretty minimal. I don't see any obvious problems with
it.

> I also moved the iramfs.gz to the separate INITRD command - still no
> change.
>
> Any further hints? How can I debug this?
> I also change the vga=1 to vga=0 - without and effect...

Problems this early in the boot process can be a bit difficult to debug.
You might try the kernel parameters noacpi, nomodeset, noapci, and debug.

Good luck,
gb