[syslinux] Boot Loop in efi

Steve Rikli sr at genyosha.net
Mon Jun 22 12:07:53 PDT 2020

While I don't have a lot of experience with EFI systems, I've done a
few and can say that I use the same pxelinux.cfg files for BIOS and EFI
without needing to change anything inside the .cfg files themselves.

It seems like if the kernel and initrd are being loaded, then there's
a chance SYSLINUX has done its job and the problem happens afterwards.

You mentioned version 6.03 earlier -- I'd suggest trying the 6.04-pre1
SYSLINUX precompiled distribution.  That helped with my PXELINUX installs
where 6.03 wouldn't always handle some EFI's -- you might find it helps
with your SYSLINUX attempt too.

Your kernel is 32bit, but you're using 64bit EFI?  Is your PC system
hardware natively 64bit?  Which syslinux.efi loader from the SYSLINUX
distribution are you using?

FYI for my PXELINUX EFI installs I use the syslinux.efi binary from the
./efi64/efi/ subdirectory of the SYSLINUX 6.04-pre1 bundle.

Changing "APPEND initrd=..." to separate APPEND and INITRD lines is
semantically equivalent according to the docs, and my experience agrees.
I do like having the separate INITRD line these days, as it can help
with automating changes over a set of *.cfg files.

Cheers,
sr.