[syslinux] simple message under BIOS/CSM/LEGACY

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Thu Aug 4 04:48:51 PDT 2022

Hi,

Pascal wrote:
> reading all the feedback, I wonder if I will not simply abandon the GPT
> partitioning and switch to a DOS partitioning which remains fully
> operational under UEFI...

Regrettably there are EFI implementations which do not boot from the
USB stick if no GPT header block is present. Obviously it suffices to
have the invalid GPT of Debian ISOs (or older Ubuntu or Fedora ISOs),
which is not announced by protective MBR and also has no GPT partition of
the proper type to announce it as EFI System Partition.
But without some smell of GPT it won't work on all EFI machines.

The disadvantage of the combination of valid MBR partition table and
an invalid GPT is that partition editors hate it. They take this as sign
of a damaged medium and feel the urge to repair it.
So Fedora and Ubuntu decided to go for valid or nearly valid GPT in their
recent bootable ISOs.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas