[syslinux] simple message under BIOS/CSM/LEGACY

Frederic Pasteleurs lists at askarel.be
Wed Oct 12 02:22:43 PDT 2022

Hello,

Here is how i would customize your code:

; nasm nobioscsm.asm -f bin -o nobioscsm

bits 16
org 0x7C00

start:
     sti ; no need to clear interrupts here: since we're going to crash anyway, leave them on
     cld ; Make sure we go forward
     mov si, msg
     mov ah, 0x0E
     .loop lodsb
     or al, al
     jz halt
     int 0x10
     jmp .loop

halt:
     hlt
     jmp halt ; The  hlt instruction sometimes behaves like a NOP. Just run in an infinite loop. CTRL-ALT-DEL should still continue to work to restart the machine

msg:
     db 0x0D, 0x0A, '** Boot with BIOS/CSM no longer supported : reboot with
EFI/UEFI **', 0

;times 510 - ($-$$) db 0
;dw 0xAA55