[syslinux] Problems compiling syslinux on Debian 10

Tom Lisjac netdxr at centurylink.net
Thu Oct 20 15:12:07 PDT 2022

Up to now I've been doing the same thing Steve Rikli mentioned in his posting... copying the binaries.

And while the distro provided syslinux binaries work, the goal of my current project is to build a basic OS entirely from signed sources. Nothing new about sig traceability improving binary trust, but I was curious if every component of the OS could be be built with that discipline in 2022.

Until this problem, the answer was "yes!" as the latest versions of busybox, Linux kernel and gnu infrastructure met the sig requirement and compiled perfectly along with grub206 that Don Cupp suggested as an alternative. Problem is that I've gotten attached to the lightweight, time tested and very capable syslinux that has worked flawlessly in my applications for many years.

Thanks to Didier's comments yesterday, I realized that the only way to compile the latest version is to apply distro generated patches to the officially broken sources. This would mean that two sigs would be required to verify the package... one from the author and the other from the distro maintainers. In addition to being awkward, the second sig is downstream and reduces confidence that the patches accurately reflect the author's intent and approval.

I'm debating how to move forward, but have a question. Would it take that much effort for the project maintainers to review the Debian patch, apply it and post a signed and compilable source bundle in the syslinux directory on kernel.org?

Many thanks to everyone who replied... especially Didier who provided the reason why distros can compile and distribute syslinux binaries but I can't from the official project sources.

-Tom