[syslinux] No localboot on HP Proliant with Smart Array and menu.c32

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Tue Mar 4 10:08:32 PST 2008

Ulrich Wiedemann wrote:
>> Why did the previus patch work at all? the only changes there were as far as I could see which segments stored where, and no changes to avoid using any memory segments that the prolient might use?
>
> My guess would be that this depends on the functionality you use of the
> menu.c32 (or which uses a COM32 module in general).
>
> I have no glue about the exact use of the segments, but from my
> understanding I would expect that vk_seg is not used with this very
> primitive configuration:
>
> default menu.c32
>
> label local
> 	localboot 0
>
> This is approximately what I used for testing.
>
> So if the memory block in question is located at the segment 3000h, it
> would match in one case with pktbuf_seg, in the other with vk_seg.
>
> My patch is by no means a fix, it was only meant to confirm that the
> change in question is related to the problem.

Actually, as soon as you have "label", you're touching vk_seg (except in
3.62, which doesn't have vk_seg at all), but yes, most likely there is a
low memory clobber somewhere, and just shuffling the memory map around
avoids getting stepped on.

How to debug it, and even more, how to fix it, is tricky.  I don't know
if HP has any interest in assisting with a machine that old although I
have a few channels I might be able to poll.