[syslinux] RedHat kickstart with PXELINUX [A small change for pxelinux]

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Sep 25 22:56:32 PDT 2002

H. J. Lu wrote:
> It looks like someone else also has the same problem:
>
> http://www.zytor.com/pipermail/syslinux/2002-September/000848.html
>
> I don't know much about Intel i386 asm. Otherwise, I will send a
> patch :-).
>
> ----- Forwarded message from "H. J. Lu" <hjl at lucon.org> -----
> I am using pxelinux to do RedHat kickstart install. I ran into a
> problem. Both pxelinux and kickstart use
>
> 	filename "xxx"
>
> in /etc/dhcpd.conf for different purposes. Naturally, they won't work
> together.  I was wondering if a small change to pxelinux could be made.
> That is if the filename got from DHCP ends with a `/', pxelinux will
> append "pxelinux.0" to it. That means if
>
> 	filename "/tftpboot/"
>
> pxelinux will try "/tftpboot/pxelinux.0".

You wouldn't be able to boot -- this filename isn't used by PXELINUX,
it's used by the network boot PROM to know what to boot from.

I believe you can override the kickstart filename by providing:

append ks=<directory>

in the PXELINUX config file.

(For what it's worth, the way Kickstart uses the filename is nonstandard.)