[syslinux] syslinux bootsector info?

Blaauw,Bernd B. B.Blaauw at student.fontys.nl
Tue Dec 16 11:44:29 PST 2003

Mr Anvin,

is there a specific loading address used with the Syslinux bootsector (to load ldlinux.sys)?

like msdos 0x70,
freedos 0x60

we're trying to have a SYS program that can create bootsector for other OS's than FreeDOS only. not much luck though :(
this way I'm trying to avoid the use of syslinux.exe/com
(need the diskspace that it would save by not including this program)

I found a way around the 386-dependency for syslinux by first using another loader which gives you the choice to boot either freedos bootsector directly, or SYSlinux's bootsector.
http://www.coli.uni-sb.de/~eric/stuff/soft/specials/metakern-11oct2003.zip

SYSLINUX A:
copybs A: A:\syslinux.bin
copy /b A:\meta-all.bin + A:\metaboot.bot + A:\syslinux.bin A:\metakern.sys
SYS A: A: BOOTONLY /K METAKERN.SYS /L 0x60

(kernelname, loadaddress, and bootonly-parameter causes only bootsector to be written, not any DOS system files copied)

this presents a bootmenu:
1) FreeDOS
2) Unknown operating system (this is the Syslinux bootsector).

sorry for the many mailings. I should stick to freedos mailinglists but am currently experimenting a lot in providing users with the best installation I can imagine.

I'll put up a final diskette image if there is interest from anyone from this mailinglist.

Bernd