[syslinux] isolinux + cloop

Seth David Schoen schoen at loyalty.org
Fri Mar 14 14:21:21 PST 2003

Matt writes:

> Hi.  I am trying to build a bootable linux CD using isolinux and a cloop
> image.  I am a bit lost right now.
>
> What I have done is built a custom distro on a seperate partition on my
> hard drive.  I can boot to it with Grub no problem.  I've added the
> ioslinux directory with isolinux.bin, isolinux.cfg, a kernel (with
> initrd, loopback, iso support), and an initrd file.
>
> My next mission is to some how make it a bootable CD distro with certain
> directories mounted on a tempfs so some files can be writable.  It would
> also be nice to try and auto detect the network card.  I've been doing
> research for the last couple days and I'm pretty much stuck.  Any help
> at all would be greatly appreciated.

You might want to look at LNX-BBC

http://www.lnx-bbc.org/

for which cloop was originally created.  Although our nightly builds
are currently broken, we have a recent release which works well and
uses cloop and SYSLINUX to boot from CD.  In the past, people have
used the same code to boot with ISOLINUX and cloop with no problem.
Maybe our init scripts will give you some useful ideas.

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen at loyalty.org> | Very frankly, I am opposed to people
     http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/   | being programmed by others.