[syslinux] localboot not working in PXELINUX 2.02

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Mon Mar 31 15:47:28 PST 2003

Dan Dunham wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We're using the PXELINUX to boot remote kickstart and Linux rescue
> images.  Recently we got some new hardware (Compaq DL360) which
> required me to upgrade from PXELINNUX 1.75 to 2.02.  Everything works
> fine on the new hardware, but the "localboot 0" option now just hangs
> on some of our older boxes.
>
> Specifically, our "Tyan Thunder 2510" motherboards with integrated
> Intel NICs just hangs when I choose the localboot option.  This option
> works fine with PXELINUX 1.75.
>
> The PXE version string reads:
>
> Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (Build 082)
>
> I've searched the SYSLINUX mailing list archives, and have found
> reports of similar problems with PXELINUX version 2.0, but I could not
> find any resolution.

I have an idea of what might be wrong with these boxes, but I haven't
had a chance to work on it.  It's definitely a bug in the PXE stack on
these machines, and I'm not sure why a change would affect them.

It would help if you could test PXELINUX 2.00-pre15 and PXELINUX
2.00-pre16 and report on whether either one or both of those work.