[syslinux] Cannnot Load image

Alexander Heinz mailsanmich at gmx.li
Wed Jul 7 05:06:27 PDT 2004

> Now, I've got the following configuration.. under /tftpboot I've got my
> kernel and the pxelinux.0 under /tftpboot I created the pxelinux.cfg
> directory.
>
>  I created a file named default as stated in the manual, the same behavior
> occurs, it seems that it cannot find that file,

what is the filename of the kernel?
(special extensions have special meanings -> see FAQ)

the file "default" has to be in /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/
if you only have one configuration for all clients, then forget about
the IP to hex stuff. You can always do that later (simple things first).

> inside the 0A33734 archive ( uppercase ) I have the following
>
> label newkernel ( lowercase )
> kernel mykernel ( lowercase )

here is an example:

default debian
label debian
	kernel vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4
	append root=/dev/hda7 ro vga=791

> In some examples I found in internet I found LABEL in uppercase, do  not
> know if it make difference or not.

AFAIK it does not make any difference.

> mykernel resides under /tftpboot/

that is ok.

> If I delete the configuration file and rename mykernel to linux it boots
> fine, but I need to pass the root= option to my
> kernel cause it gives me a kernel panic.

I believe "linux" is a fall-back option but I am not sure (has to be
somewhere in the docs). If pxelinux does not find a proper configuration
file, it tries to boot kernel named linux.

Hope that helps...

Alex