[syslinux] booting a SGI 540

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Sat Aug 20 04:01:41 PDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 07:54:20PM -0700, Jeff Sadowski wrote:
> Is there a way I can use arclx.exe to load syslinux?
> Or has anyone had any experiance using an SGI
> Workstation 540? And what kind of options to put in
>
> Load Identifier = Linux Install
> OSLoader = \sgiboot\arclx.exe
> OSLoad Filename = /sgiboot\vmlinux
> OSLoad Partition = CDROM
> System Partition = CDROM
> OSLoad Options = load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=6000
> root=/dev/fd0 rw
>
> which is in the bios
>
> Those options where for an old vertion of slackware
> pre bz kernels I think(is 1999 before bz images) I
> think thats why arclx.exe didn't work with what I
> tried. But if I can load a real boot loader like
> syslinux than I can run anything I want.

Cool!

How far does the SGI540 boot when you change the BIOS setup
for OSLoader in to \sgiboot\syslinux.exe ?
( assuming that you copy syslinux.exe into the \sgiboot directory
and that you can change "OSLoader" )

Cheers
Geert Stappers

P.S.

On second thought is syslinux.exe not the drop-in replacement
for arclx.exe, more likely you are looking for "loadlin".
Then is the question if loadlin can live in the SGI BIOS environment.

P.P.S.

What kind of processor is in the SGI 540?  MIPS?