[syslinux] Boot loader problems and some tests

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Mon Apr 10 02:51:59 PDT 2006

On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 01:17:58PM +0200, Nico Schottelius wrote:
> Hello guys!
>
> I tested several boot loaders (
>
>       - windos 95 boot loader (works)
>       - Smart Boot Manager (sbm)
>       - syslinux (some versions)
>       - grub1
>       - netbsd on the g4u boot-cd
>       - lilo
> )
>
> on a old pc machine.

Technical background:
   - PC
   - P1-75Mhz
   - AST Computer is builder (BIOS and case)
   - System can boot from a/c/cd-rom
   - two ide channels
      o first channel for the hd(s)
      o second channel for the ide-cd (hdc)

> You can find my problems and results at [0].
A deeper link[1] says:
| General information:
|   Syslinux is installed on mostly all Linux-related cdroms.
|   In one situation it works, in most not.

> What is really strange for me is that syslinux worked once, but
> not anymore.

URL [1] mentions [2] which says
| If you are cursed with a system on which ISOLINUX simply will not
| operate, you may want to try to load SBM onto a floppy and then use its
| "Boot From CD-ROM" feature, which will use SBM's El Torito stack and not
| the BIOS's.
|
| If you encounter this on a new system, don't forget to complain loudly
| to your vendor and/or obtain a BIOS upgrade.

> Perhaps you can give me you comment on the problems I had
> with 'your' bootloader (partly I already have feedback) and
> perhaps those problems can even be removed.

The invitation for investigation is seen.
( [3] )

> Sincerly
>
> Nico

Cheers