[syslinux] Problem with booting disk images

Nazo nazosan at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 23:41:41 PDT 2006

On 6/14/06, Michael Blandford <mlblandf at sedona.ch.intel.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are having problems booting disk images and are looking for a little
> help.
>
> Here is the screen capture of what we see:
> http://www.kmaclub.com/syslinux/largefloppy.png
>
> We have also tried using images from
> http://severinterrier.free.fr/Boot/ImgBoot/ with a similar result.
>
> Basically, memdisk loads the images and then it hangs.
>
> label linux
>
>         kernel memdisk
>
>         append initrd=newfloppy.ima floppy c=5 s=32 h=64
>

> Any thoughts?  What other kind of information would be helpful in
> debugging this issue?
>
> Michael

Uhm, am I missing something, or are you specifying harddrive geometry
for a floppy image?  It should be either harddrive or floppy.  With a
floppy you don't specify anything (in fact, if it's a standard sized
image, say 1.44MB, then you don't even have to say floppy, but, some
of the better imaging things will remove the blank space so you'll
have to specify floppy for those.)  With a harddrive image, you
actually shouldn't have to specify the information since it's supposed
to be able to get it from the partition table.

In the syslinux archive, there is a "memdisk.doc" file in the memdisk
folder which will give you more information regarding memdisk's
functionality.

Anyway, I say try it without any geometry specified and see what happens.