[syslinux] pxelinux and WDS server for Vista

Dyks, Axel (XL) xl at xlsigned.net
Mon Jun 25 06:12:14 PDT 2007

Ryan McLean wrote:
> Sorry, it may be possible to create modified images but i wouldnt even
> know where to start, I don't really think it would be worth the hassle.
>
> Why wouldnt mixed mode be an option? just use WDS for all windows based
> images and then hide all you linux images in the RIS section. I created 2
> security groups in my AD RIS-Admin & RIS-User. Both can add computers to
> the network as i created an OU for all RIS'd computers to be placed in.
> RIS-Admins have full control over the .sif files and pxelinux config files
> whereas ris-users can only read and execute them.

Mixed mode might not be an option, if one isn't responsible for the WDS
server and the administrator refuses to / is afraid of switching to
mixed mode, because of
  * unknown consequences
  * a more sophisticated setup (--> your net start/stop sequence)
  * M$ not recommending this kind of setup
  * M$ possibly removing legacy support in future versions

If I were responsible for the WDS server in question, I would defintely
prefer mixed mode over native mode, but I'm not.

So, what I'd like to achieve is
  * create a (native) WDS compatible boot image for pxelinux
  * determine a set of simple and _reversible_ changes I would ask the WDS
    adminstrator to apply, like
      - copy the pxelinux boot image to ...
      - edit the following config file and/or set the following registry keys
      - restart the WDS services

The good news is that I have more or less full access to a WDS test installation
which I may play around with. So I could actively contribute to such a solution.
Though it feels much better not being alone ...

Cheers,
Axel