[syslinux] alternate tftp server

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Wed Apr 2 11:50:55 PDT 2008

Jacob Alifrangis wrote:
> Startrom is actually getting this information from the BINLSVC service or
> "Boot Information Negotiation Layer" this service broadcasts a packet to
> 255.255.255.255 or to $ipaddress, I'm not sure. What is definite is that the
> packet contains the location of the boot loader wdsnbp.com or an equivalent
> pxe code file, determined by the architecture that is detected by
> startrom.com, this is done by issuing an assembler instruction that detects
> 64bit mode.

BINL is just butchered DHCP.

Supposedly, one can edit the DHCP/BINL packets inside the PXE stack, but
it is known not to work for some PXE stacks.  I'm considering writing a
COM32 module to do this editing and then chainload a PXE module.

> Decoding and sing this packet in a c32 module would be the best way to make
> this work.

Indeed.  Please try out the SDI-loading patches that I have already
posted; again, if someone could send me a known-good SDI image for
testing that would really help!