[syslinux] PXE booting BartPE ISO file to Eee Pc

Claus Andersen clan at wheel.dk
Mon Nov 10 13:49:14 PST 2008

On Mon, 10 Nov 2008, cr4z3d wrote:

> My pxelinux menu to boot startrom.bs:
>
> label bartacronis
> MENU LABEL ^BartPE w/ Acronis
> kernel startrom.bs
>
> Seems to just go to a screen with a blinking cursor and just hang there
> forever. I have other things in my boot menu that all work fine so I'm
> assuming it has to do with my BartPE setup.

Yes - this sounds more like a Windows issue than PXELINUX. When PXELINUX
has handed over to "startrom" you can be fairly sure it is a Windows
problem rather then PXELINUX.

1) Make sure you are using "ntdetect.com" and "setupldr.exe" (renamed to
ntldr) from Windows 2003 SP1. You can download SP1 from Microsoft and
unpack it locally to get those files. Earlier versions might/will have
problems doing TFTP and ISO boot. You should however start by focusing on
the NBP (startrom.com/n12)

2) Test with both "startrom.com" and "startrom.n12". If "startrom.com" was
downloaded and executed correctly it will always display "Press F12
to...". Then you know the NBP is loaded properly. This is good for
debugging and you can always switch to "startrom.n12" later. The only
difference between "startrom.com" and startrom.n12" is whether that
message is displayed.

3) You have renamed the NBP to .bs - PXELINUX will then expect a bootsector
image (bootstrap program). I would rename it to use the extension ".0".
There are several extensions with special meaning see:
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Doc/syslinux#COMBOOT_IMAGES_AND_OTHER_OPERATING_SYSTEMS

4) Your best bet for debugging is to look in the TFTP log and see what
files are requested from the client. The last succesful file will be your
culprit. Following files not found might then be related to the problem.

5) You might want to use the "PXE" keyword rather than "KERNEL" in the
"LABEL" section. Hence "kernel startrom.bs" should be "pxe startrom.bs" -
or simply "pxe startrom.com".
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/Doc/syslinux#CONFIGURATION_FILE

If you go directly from the PXELINUX menu to a blinking cursor I assume
that either:
a) "startrom.com" was loaded the wrong way due to ".bs" - try renaming it.
You will notice in your TFTP log that no other files are requested.
b) You are using "startrom.n12" as NBP. It will not prompt for anything
but you will be able to see what files it requests from the TFTP log.

If I was you I would:
I) Copy "startrom.com" to the TFTP root
II) Rename "startrom.com" to "startrom.com.0"
III) Change "kernel startrom.bs" to "kernel startrom.com.0"
IV) Monitor the TFTP log.

A success would be to see the message "Press F12 to..." from the NBP right
after the PXELINUX menu. If you do that and still have problems then the
TFTP log is you friend and you should probably find a Windows related list
for further troubleshooting.

I am sorry but I will not be able to follow up on this as I am off to Rome
the next 14 days (yipee!).

--
Kind Regards,
Claus Andersen