[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support?

Alexander Clouter alex at digriz.org.uk
Wed Aug 12 02:47:51 PDT 2009

Hi,

* Ryan McLean <pvtryan100 at googlemail.com> [2009-08-12 10:20:38+0100]:

> Alexander Clouter wrote:
>>
>> * Ryan McLean <pvtryan100 at googlemail.com> [2009-08-11 13:08:21+0100]:
>>
>>> Perhaps I am being stupid and if so please enlighten me.
>>> Assuming that all clients have reserved IP addresses on the dhcp server,
>>> surely it would be possible to have a com32 module that presented the
>>> boot options to both stdout and also allowed connections via ssh.
>>> After all for the system to get the files via tftp it has to have
>>> network connectivity so one piece of the puzzle is there already.
>>>
>> Buy a 1U serial console server?  We use Opengear's kit which is nice and
>> cheap, it also means that for the OS it's-self you get console action
>> via SSH.
>>
>> For PXELINUX you can then just use the SERIAL feature.  The Debian
>> netboot installation image is intelligent enough for you just to pass
>> 'console=ttyS0,115200' and then you are off.
>>
> I'd never get sign off to spend unless it was £20 and even then it would
> be unlikely as I would need several of them.
> Though I will keep that in mind on the off chance I can squeeze one in.
> How many serial connections does it support?

> For my main cluster rack I would need 30 connections minimum.

48...in a single 1U.  Best part is that they are completely BREAK safe
too.

http://www.opengear.com.au/product-cm4000.html

We would be lost without a serial console server...once you have one you
can break the networking/firewalling on the host with no issues.

Cheers

--
Alexander Clouter
.sigmonster says: Above all else -- sky.