[syslinux] com32 ssh/telnet support?

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Aug 12 03:29:37 PDT 2009

Op 20090811 om 14:27 schreef Alexander Clouter:
> Hi,
>
> * Ryan McLean <pvtryan100 at googlemail.com> [2009-08-11 13:08:21+0100]:
> >
> > Perhaps I am being stupid and if so please enlighten me.
> > Assuming that all clients have reserved IP addresses on the dhcp server,
> > surely it would be possible to have a com32 module that presented the
> > boot options to both stdout and also allowed connections via ssh.
> > After all for the system to get the files via tftp it has to have network
> > connectivity so one piece of the puzzle is there already.

There is nothing wrong with being stupid,
the trouble only comes when one stays stupid.

So start a project with the attitude of willing to learn.

Yes, pxelinux.0 can do UDP networking.
With gpxelinux.0 one gets a TCP network stack.

In other words: The puzzle can be solved.

> Buy a 1U serial console server?  We use Opengear's kit which is nice and
> cheap, it also means that for the OS it's-self you get console action
> via SSH.
>
> For PXELINUX you can then just use the SERIAL feature.  The Debian
> netboot installation image is intelligent enough for you just to pass
> 'console=ttyS0,115200' and then you are off.

The Debian-Installer even supports complete unattended succesfull installs.

Cheers
Geert Stappers