[syslinux] GSOC 2008 ELF Loader

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Sat May 16 13:54:12 PDT 2009

Chad Z. Hower wrote:
>> http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/GSoC2008_Stefan_Announcements
>>
>> Has anyone used this successfully? I've spent days messing around with
>> it. It has nearly a total lack of documentation and even after
>> scanning source I've not had much luck.
>>
>> I've finally gotten it to load up, but even specifying its own test
>> programs I get:
>> Invalid ELF file version
>
> Like magic, after sending this message I got past this. Unfortunately
> now I'm finding that the few bits and pieces of docs in the author's
> initial notes are completely invalid in the current source (by both
> failing and looking at source).
>
> Can anyone assist with the append command? I have this in a cfg for
> isolinix.
>
> default cosmos
> label cosmos
> kernel test_com
> append load sort.dyn
> append spawn hello.dyn
>
> prompt 0
>
> It loads, but totally ignores the appends. If I type them in by hand,
> all works ok. test_com is the gsco2008 program and it reads from stdin.
> Is my understanding that append will feed stdin incorrect? Do I need to
> specify /n ? Put in quotes? Something else?

Hi Chad,

It might be a bit useful to know what it is you're trying to do.  The
GSoC code from last year is obviously not in its final form (it's meant
to be integrated into the Syslinux core, which might happen as early as
as later this year if all the stars align.)  Are you simply trying to
test it out and experiment, or are you looking for a specific application?

In the earlier case, it would of course be good if we could straighten
things out; in the latter case we may want to verify that your
application is compatible with the intended future setup.

As far as "append" is concerned, at least in stock Syslinux code there
is only support for a single "append"; a later one will override the
first one.