[syslinux] gpxelinux local disk boot does not work

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz at cmu.edu
Thu Jul 22 14:54:29 PDT 2010

--On Thursday, July 22, 2010 03:05:34 PM -0600 Jeff Sadowski
<jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:

> I downloaded syslinux-4.02 today and did the uncomment of debug in the
> pxechain.asm file and did make in the modules folder then replaced the
> files in my directories with the most current.
>
> On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Jeffrey Hutzelman <jhutz at cmu.edu> wrote:
>> --On Wednesday, July 21, 2010 11:56:21 AM -0600 Jeff Sadowski
>> <jeff.sadowski at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> With this setup it stalls when I type "test" at the pxelinux.0 prompt
>>> its the same box and pxelinux.0 was downloaded through tftp
>>> successfully each and every time
>>
>> It stops without printing anything at all?
> Going back to the original with APPEND 10.255.11.252::/gpxe/gpxelinux.0
> before adding debug it only printed
> [quote]
> TFTP boot: 10.255.11.252 /gpxe/gpxelinux.0
> [/quote]
> and then stalls the computer to the point I need to press the power
> button. with the debug uncommented and running make then replacing
> pxechain.com I get as follows
> [quote]
> INIT SCAN PIP GOTP 128 LEFT /gpxe/gpxelinux.0GCI
> TFTP boot: 10.255.11.252 /gpxe/gpxelinux.0
> [/quote]

This really sounds like your PXE stack is broken.
pxechain uses a hack to pass the new boot path to the next NBP which may
not work with all PXE stacks, but it shouldn't just hang and fail to load
the next PXE stack at all.  Give me a couple of days and I will try to get
you a version I've been working on with an alternate loader method that may
work better for you.

-- Jeff