[syslinux] New 'quiet' behavior - optional?

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Nov 23 16:51:43 PST 2010

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 19:16, Lucas De Marchi
<lucas.demarchi at profusion.mobi> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 9:33 PM, H. Peter Anvin <hpa at zytor.com> wrote:
>> On 11/23/2010 02:45 PM, Lucas De Marchi wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, this is easy. Maybe a compile time option?
>>>

>> Absolutely not -- it is a pain for me from a debugging standpoint, and
>> quite frankly, it is a bit rude given that you are getting it for free,
>> don't you think?
>>
>>        -hpa
>>

> Sorry about that, I didn't want to be rude. I was just trying to show
> an option and the reasoning behind it. It would be something in the
> way of the "%ifdef DEBUG_MESSAGES" (maybe a "%ifndef VERY_QUIET") that
> is already in the assembly files.

I believe "DEBUG_MESSAGES" is used solely for the generation of
isolinux-debug.bin but there appear to also be other debugging code
snippets in both C and assembly.  I love the idea of leaving the debug
code in the source but effectively doing nothing as long as it's easy
to read.

At this time, I believe the main compile time options involve editing
the source or what binaries to use while building (ie gcc, nasm,
libgcc.a, etc).

--
-Gene