[syslinux] Status of EFI support?

Keshav P R the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 04:18:47 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 12:51, Andreas Heinlein <aheinlein at gmx.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> now that 5.00pre is out, is there any timeline or rough estimate when stable
> EFI support can be expected? I'm one of the authors of a live CD project
> which we'd really like to make usable on Macs which only have EFI support
> (without BootCamp). Most other EFI-capable machines I've seen so far also
> have a BIOS emulation, but I expect things to change with upcoming Windows 8
> "certified" machines.
>
> We're currently using syslinux as the boot loader, and if there is any
> chance EFI support will become available sometime this year, I'd rather not
> dig into switching to GRUB or making some kind of dual-boot-loader stuff
> like Ubuntu currently does.
>
> Thanks,
> Andreas
>
> P.S.: I have some EFI machines and a MacbookPro at hand, so I'd be willing
> to do some testing if it helps...

I don't think there is any need for Syslinux EFI support with efistub
support in kernel 3.3 and with efilinux for non-efistub kernels. See
https://projects.archlinux.org/archiso.git/commit/?id=6caa5bcb69037442fac2b30ac5b20e4350a11056
for implementing efistu booting in isos. You may also try rEFInd .

Regards.

Keshav