[syslinux] tftpd wishlist: follow symbolic links

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Tue Apr 17 13:46:50 PDT 2012

On Tue, Apr 17, 2012 at 10:37:18PM +0300, Alkis Georgopoulos wrote:
> hpa answered to me in #syslinux, mentioning it's by design, as that's
> how the BSD tftps works. And the tftpdir is used for path filtering.
>
> So allow me to change the question into a feature request,
> "please provide an option that will allow serving files from e.g.
> /var/lib/tftpboot, without requiring the clients to specify that dir,
> while allowing symlinks to point outside that dir".
>
> That would make LTSP installations easier, and it would allow for
> easier migration between tftpd-hpa / dnsmasq / aftpd, as the others
> do allow symlinks to point outside the TFTP dir by default.

My use case for that feature:

  Do development outside /var/lib/tftpboot, say /usr/src/openwrt
  have in /var/lib/tftpboot a symbolic link to  /usr/src/openwrt/build_dir/vmlinuz

So there is no need to copy openwrt/build_dir/vmlinuz to the TFTP directory.

Even pxelinux development can benefit for this wishlist request.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--
> And is there a policy on top-posting vs. bottom-posting?
Yes.